To have a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and hottest stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3 PM PT, Subscribe here.
Oh heyyy. Very excited to see you again, glad to have you with us. It’s been a busy day with news on the site, and we’re especially excited to share iPhone 14 review with you all.
Oh, and did you know that we managed to convince our marketing team to let you get 15% off tickets for TechCrunch Disrupt, just for being a Daily Crunch reader? Use this link, or transfer “DC” in the promo code box When buying passes to the hottest startup event of the summer.
Top Tech Crunch 3
- shedding event: Twilio has announced that it will lay off 11% of its workforce. CEO Jeff Lawson said the layoffs were “prudent and necessary” for the company as it is on the path to profitability. Kyle He has more.
- Gnawing at the Apple iPhone 14: It’s rare to get a file Panzer The story, so we were glad to see it working so well. Perhaps you fans of the Daily Crunch were also excited to see his name grace a story, or because you were curious to hear a comment about the iPhone 14. Don’t worry, if it’s the latter, we won’t tell.
- This “island” is not tropicaliPhone fanatics may be suspicious of the usefulness of a “notch” on the iPhone X, but Evan He writes that the iPhone 14’s new “Dynamic Island” feature is anything but.
Startups and VC
One way or another, it’s the season for audio companies that raise money, as we have a pair of holographic stories today: roman reports that Devialet, the manufacturer of high-end headphones raised $50 million, and Brian And the pilgrim Report that Nomono, a $3000 podcast microphone array makerraised $3.6 million.
Things seem to come in pairs in the transportation industry, too. Rebecca reports that TruckSmarter comes out of stealth with a free loading panel For truck drivers, the Kyle He has a story Nyshex loads $25 million into its bank account to match shippers with ocean carriers.
In non-audio, non-shipping startup news:
Dear Sophie: Is there a way to continue working in the United States after my J-1 visa expires?
I am a Fulbright scholar on a J-1 visa. I was told that after the J-1 program ended, I would have to go back to my country for two years.
Is there a way I can stay in the United States? Can I apply for an O-1A or green card even if I have to go back to my country?
– quest for survival
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup teams move forward. You can register here. Use code “DC” to get 15% off annual subscription!)
Big Tech Inc.
It’s been a busy news day for our major tech companies. We start with some lights, camera, action… ah, from work pilgrimwho writes on DJI’s new Osmo Action 3 Camera. Introduce your best friend to take underwater photos up to 16 metres.
Some news from South Korea: Google and Meta were collectively fined $71.8 million by the country’s authorities for allegedly Violation of privacy law in South KoreaAnd the Kate reports. In addition to, Manly… masculine Writes about the founder of Terraform Labs Do Kwon has an arrest warrant For him in relation to the two tokens of the company $40 billion loss in value Within days earlier this year. As a result of this news, the price of Luna, the new token of the revived ecosystem, has dropped to $2.23 per piece.
- More layoffs: Continuing from the above Twilio news, Amanda has more Patreon lays off 17% of employeesWhile Lauren Reports on Netflix shrinks its animation division.
- More from Google: It was a mixed Google day. The search giant did not manage to turn over 4 billion euros Antitrust Resolution for AndroidAnd the Natasha L Writes. But as Evan Reports, she now has 31 new emoji. Find out which one to “shake”. while, Sarah Some reports Bad news from the R&D department of Area 120 at Google – “Reduce Force” – also guides us through the new Google redesign Memories feature and creative tools.
- More Creator Tools: Speaking of creativity, Canva has revealed a new range of products Hoping to get rid of a purely graphic design image, Amanda Writes.
- More scary AI: Devine We are pleased toA terrifying woman created by artificial intelligence lurks in the abyss of latent space. “
- More charging stations: At the Detroit Auto Show today, Biden announced $900 million for electric vehicle charging stationsAnd the Rebecca reports.